We’ve all been feeling the effects of the recent heat waves. The scorching sun has been particularly unforgiving lately, sending everyone to the beach or the nearest pool to cool off. But when those efforts are rendered moot, there are ways to cool off from the comfort of your own home AND have a tasty snack at the same time.
Chilled fresh and fruity plums, peaches, and nectarines are excellent for cooling down on a hot summer’s day. Besides packing a low-calorie nutritious punch, these stone fruits are incredibly versatile and delicious. They are great on their straight from the fridge and make the most refreshing frozen treats.
Jam-packed with frosty flavor, Chef Jenny Morris puts plums to good use with her revitalizing frozen plum lollies that are loaded with yummy goodness.
With peaches in peak season, try your hand at Jenny’s frozen peach and yogurt shake that captures the flavors of summer in a glass. Jenny suggests pouring the peach shake into a flask for your child to enjoy perfectly chilled at school.
Plums, peaches, and nectarines are naturally sweet superfruits with a low glycaemic index (GI). They are high in fiber and abound in health-giving potassium and vitamins A, C, and E, all-powerful antioxidants that protect against disease and help to build healthy minds and bodies.
Stone fruit is at its most satisfying when enjoyed perfectly ripe. Be sure to test the fruit for optimal ripeness by lightly pressing the skin. If still firm to the touch, allow them to ripen in a fruit bowl or place them in a pierced paper bag at room temperature. Only keep the fruit in the fridge once completely ripe to safeguard its sweet, juicy flavor.
Frozen Plum Lollies
- 8 fat plums
- ½ cup raw honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups natural yoghurt
– Cut a cross into the base of each plum and plunge into boiling water, remove with a slotted spoon. Peel off the skins and remove the flesh from the stone.
– Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake holders.
– Blend the plum flesh, honey, vanilla extract and yoghurt in a food processor until smooth.
– Taste and add a little more honey if too tart.
– Divide the mixture between the muffin holes and freeze till firm.
– When almost firm insert a lolly stick into each one. (Sticks are available at Mambos or Checkers)
Frozen Peach & Yoghurt Shake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream.
- 1 banana sliced and frozen
- 1½ cups chopped and frozen dessert peaches
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
– Remove the frozen fruit from the freezer and place it in a blender with the remaining ingredients.
– Blend until smooth, pour into glasses and garnish with fresh mint.
Follow us on social media for more travel news, inspiration, and guides. You can also tag us to be featured.
TikTok | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Jarastyle – #Frosty #fruity #treats #beat #summer #heat
Courtesy : https://www.getaway.co.za/food/recipes-food/frosty-fruity-treats-to-beat-the-summer-heat/